Sunday, September 27, 2009

a lot has happened since my last blog....i am starting to get in the routine of school. i get up every morning at 8am, have lunch at 2:30, get home around 5:30, do my homework and get ready for the next day. my classes are fine, i am taking economics, european history, modern history, lengua, english (def the best!!), math (we are learning how to do absolute value), sport twice a week (literally all we do is take two laps around the field - the two laps are probably the distance of half a football field, maybe a little bigger then we stand around, and if its too hot then we sit in the shade). then i have philosophy, french, and ONG (which is once a week and we work with save the children). french sucks, because i don't understand anything in french, and all my peers have taken it for at least 3 years and the teacher speaks the entire time in french. i want to die. but i can mostly understand all my other teachers, they speak quickly, but i can follow. but speaking is still a challenge. oh, and last friday we had a history test and i def had to write some words in english....haha we'll see what grade i get.

my birthday was on thursday and it was really fun!! i got to school and kinda expected no one to remember it was my birthday, but everyone did! they all congratulated me and gave me kisses. then, at break, all the girls in my class got in a circle, and i had no idea what was going on. all of a sudden, Nicole handed me a bag, a present!! they had all pitched in and got me a movie and some delicious chocolates. i have friends!!!! then in philosophy class everyone sang happy birthday (its not feliz cumpleanos, its different, a completely different tune) and my teacher jose gave me some very random presents including a pencil box filled with chocolates, a mini fundamental rights book, a key chain, and some pens, he also gave me a european agenda, a notepad and a box of chocolates. it was very nice of him, but def very random gifts. after school, i went to a snack with cliff, alicia, and paloma (my program directors) and they gave me a cute blouse and a scarf. and a spanish card, i am very excited about the card!!! at the restaurant, paloma remarked how my spanish had improved!! yes, i have only been here two weeks and already my spanish is getting better!! at home, my family remembered it was my birthday!! they gave me an adorable dress!! (you open presents first, then eat) and then we ate spanish tortilla and a delicious chocolate cookie cake!! after dinner, my sister leti asked if i wanted to go out, so we went to a bar nearby with some of her friends. it was very fun, her friends are really nice. i didn't end up getting home until around 1:30, so the next day at school i just slept through all my classes. but the best part of it is that i have friends!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophia,
    I guess you'll have to find your own ways to exercise and keep in shape while you are in Spain. Sounds like you have a lot of classes - you must have a lot of homework!
    I'm so glad you had fun on your birthday. I wish I could eat some of those chocolates with you :)
    Auntie Cheryl

    ReplyDelete